The British Red Cross provides a range of health services to support people at home. This placement is with our Community Crisis Support Service (CCSS), based in Nottingham at Humanity House. CCSS is a short term crisis support service aimed at preventing avoidable hospital admissions, by providing support with individual’s needs. This includes any or all of the following:
• Personal care
• End of Life care
• Medication (prompting, physical assistance and administration)
• Meal preparation
The aim of the placement is to identify how dietetics could provide benefits for our patients and/or our non-clinical staff. We envisage the placement producing a project report identifying potential opportunities which could, for example, be increasing the knowledge of our staff in specific areas, identifying when to signpost/seek further advice, or developing our existing care processes.
We would envisage that the student would spend time with our staff on service user visits in their homes. The service runs 7 days a week, including evenings but placement times can be flexible according to the student’s needs (e.g. Monday to Friday).
Competencies you can develop on this placement:
- Communicating public health information
- Relationship-building and collaborative working
- Understanding of relevant legislation, policies and safe practice
- Planning public health initiatives
- Delivering public health initiatives