First Steps ED is the Midlands' mental health and specialist eating disorder charity providing hope, opportunities and choices to lives impacted by eating disorders.
We are an all ages, all genders and background sub-clinical service working within the community, in people's homes, and closely with established CAMHS and Adult Eating Disorders pathways in the East and West Midlands.
Offering a blended service covering peer support for CYP and Counselling and Psychotherapy for adults and 16 years plus young people. Alongside our 1:1 services we also deliver a comprehensive weekly Recovery Self-help group programme, some being age appropriate. These psychoeducation groups are service user led and offer creative arts and occupational therapy based interventions.
We are also an accredited CPD training provider working with professionals across the education and health sector and also train parents, foster parents and carers in eating disorders to support someone in school, work and in the home environment.
We will always align the length and hours involved in placements to students' requirements.
Competencies you can develop on this placement:
- Communicating public health information
- Relationship-building and collaborative working
- Understanding of relevant legislation, policies and safe practice
- Researching the publics' health
- Evaluating and quality assuring public health initiatives
- Planning public health initiatives
- Delivering public health initiatives