Leicestershire County Council is a two-tier local authority, so it has a great opportunity to influence the wider determinants of health such as education, environment and transport and adult social care departments within the County Council. We also have the opportunity to work with district councils on housing and leisure services.
We commission public health services such as health visiting and school nursing, but we also provide services through our delivery arm such as weight management and smoking cessation. We have a growing health improvement team.
We are happy for the placements with us to be full or part time, and in terms of the length of placement. The projects could be varied from health impact assessments or health equity audit to supporting with health improvement campaigns or evaluation or service delivery.
Competencies you can develop on this placement:
- Communicating public health information
- Relationship-building and collaborative working
- Understanding of relevant legislation, policies and safe practice
- Researching the publics' health
- Evaluating and quality assuring public health initiatives
- Planning public health initiatives
- Delivering public health initiatives